What Is Carisoprodol?
Before taking Carisoprodol 350 mg Always follow your doctor’s recommendation on how to consume the medicine and dedicatedly follow them. Carisoprodol has a habit forming tendency. Misuse of the drug may result in overdose, addiction, or death. Consult your doctor’s suggestion on how to safely stop the usage of this drug because it might show unpleasant withdrawal symptoms if it is suddenly stopped or suddenly increased in dosage. This medicine is mostly recommended only for short periods like up to 2 or 3 weeks. Because there are no proper studies available for the long term usage of this drug.
Missing a dose of medication is not a desirable habit to get into, and it can have a negative impact on the medicine’s effectiveness. As a result, make sure you don’t miss a dose and don’t double dose to make up for it.
A Carisoprodol 350 mg overdose can be fatal. Take this medication with caution if you are drinking alcohol or using any other drugs that impede your breathing. Confusion, vision issues, muscle stiffness, hallucinations, loss of coordination, fainting, seizure, weak or shallow breathing, or coma are all indications of an overdose.
- Generic Name: carisoprodol
- Brand Name: Soma
- Drug Class: Skeletal Muscle Relaxants
- Chemical name: N-isopropyl-2-methyl-2-propyl-1,3 propanediol dicarbamate
- Molecular formula: C12H24N2O4
- Molecular weight: 260.33.
- Structural formula:
Uses of Carisoprodol 350 mg
- Carisoprodol is a muscle relaxant that works by blocking pain signals from the nerves to the brain.
- Carisoprodol is used to treat skeletal muscle discomfort and damage in combination with rest and physical therapy.
- carisoprodol should only be administered for a few weeks (up to two or three weeks), because there is no evidence of its usefulness in long-term usage, and most skeletal muscle injuries are short-term.
Doses from carisoprodol
General recommended dosages by medical experts are:
- Generally adult (ages 17 to 64 years) dosage: 250–350 mg, three times per day, before bedtime. Maximum upto 4 times it can be taken that is a total of (1,400 mg/day).
- Generally child (ages 0 to 16 years) dosage: Medicational uses of this drug in children younger than 17 years is not known. It should not be used in children without a doctor’s recommendation.
- Generally senior (ages 65 years and older) dosage: This medication hasn’t been studied in adults older than 65 years. It shouldn’t be used by people of this age group.
Symptoms of overdose may include:
- Difficult in breathing, slow or shallowing breathing
- changes in vision
- increased size of the pupil (the black circle in the center of the eye)
- loss of muscle coordination, severe muscle stiffness or twitching, or hallucination.
Carisoprodol 350 mg Side Effects
Carisoprodol may cause some common side effects
Side effects vary from person to person and side effects depend upon the various factors like patient medical history or medical conditions or allergic to some medication. Contact doctor if you have any of the below symptoms
- fast heart rate
- upset stomach
Carisoprodol 350 mg may cause some serious side effects
serious side effects may arise to any patients. And these serious side effects may persist inside your body for more than a week. Therefore you must consult your doctor as soon as possible:
- Sudden weight loss
- Mood changes like nervousness or irritable feeling
- Sleep problems
- Dry mouth
- Difficulty breathing
Interactions with other drugs will affect Carisoprodol 350 mg
Drug drug interaction may cause some side effects: like taking carisoprodol with certain medications raises your risk of side effects from these drugs. Some examples of these drugs are:
- Benzodiazepines like alprazolam, diazepam, or flurazepam, increase drowsiness side effects.
- Opioids like morphine, oxycodone, hydrocodone, or codeine, increase drowsiness side effects.
- Tricyclic antidepressants like amitriptyline, nortriptyline, doxepin, or imipramine increase drowsiness side effects.
- Meprobamate also increases drowsiness side effects because your body turns carisoprodol into meprobamate. which increases the amount of meprobamate in your body, and increases its side effects.
- Drugs like omeprazole or fluvoxamine, if you take these drugs with carisoprodol, may develop some side effects. Taking carisoprodol with certain medications raises your risk of side effects because the amount of carisoprodol in your body may be increased.
Precaution and Warnings before taking Carisoprodol
- Drowsiness: Drowsiness is a side effect of carisoprodol. Do not drive or operate risky machinery until you have a better understanding of how this medicine affects you.
- Dependence: Carisoprodol use can lead to dependency (addiction). If this happens, abruptly quitting the medicine may result in withdrawal symptoms. Sleep disturbances, vomiting, stomach pain, headaches, shakiness, and muscle twitching are all possible symptoms. Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that aren’t real) or other psychological issues can also be present. Do not use this medication for more than three weeks to avoid becoming addicted.
- Seizures: Carisoprodol has the potential to cause seizures. This risk is increased if it’s combined with other drugs that have been mishandled or taken in excessively high doses.
- If you’ve had a medical problem like liver disease, kidney illness, or a seizure, tell your doctor.
- Inform your doctor that you are expecting a child. This drug may affect an unborn infant.
- Carisoprodol 350 mg tablet goes into breast milk, causing neonatal sleepiness. Therefore you must inform the doctor about breastfeeding.
- This drug should not be combined with alcohol. It’s possible that fatal adverse effects or perhaps death will occur.
- Ignore driving or risky activities until you know how this medicine affects you. Accidents, falls, and severe injuries can all be caused by drowsiness or dizziness.