Anxiety is a normal part of life. In a big event or stressful situation, It is normal to feel anxious. However, anxiety can be a nonstop problem that can ruin your career or relationship. In the modern-day, it is the most common mental illness.
According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, In the United States, more than 18 percent of adults suffer from anxiety disorders.
These anti-anxiety drugs help to reduce the symptoms of anxiety, panic disorder, or extreme worry or fear. Generally, doctors start the treatment with the most common anti-anxiety medicine that is benzodiazepines. The most highly recommended meds such as Xanax (alprazolam), Klonopin (clonazepam), Citalopram (Celexa), Valium (diazepam), Duloxetine (Cymbalta), and Ativan (lorazepam) work quickly. These are the best anti-anxiety medications that are too good drugs for the withdrawal of the symptoms of disorders.
How do anti-anxiety meds work?
Anti-anxiety medications work on neurotransmitters in the brain and nervous system and produce a calming effect. These medicines work to reduce anxiety disorders by stimulating serotonin and dopamine receptors on nerves and helping to relax both physically and mentally.
Some anti-anxiety drugs such as benzodiazepines withdrawal symptoms of disorders by increasing the action of brain neurotransmitters that are called gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA). GABA is chemical nerve cells in the brain that communicate with each other and it reduces brain activity and helps to relax the patient. It is believed that extreme activity in the brain may begin with anxiety or other psychiatric diseases.
Side effects of anti-anxiety drugs
Anti-anxiety meds work in the nervous system and brain and produce calming effects and help to relax both physically and mentally. But it can cause side effects for some people, The side effects of anti-anxiety meds include-
- Blurred vision
- Trouble concentrating
- Memory problems
- Stomach pain
- Unusual tiredness
- High blood pressure
These are some common side effects of anti-anxiety drugs. Sometimes these side effects become severe, so if you notice any side effects with any anti-anxiety meds then contact your doctor.
Serious side effects of anti-anxiety meds
Serious side effects with anti-anxiety medication are less but it is possible. The serious side effects of anti-anxiety medication are-
If you consume the meds under the care of the doctor then there is less chance to get side effects with it. But if you face any of these side effects then it’s best to contact your doctor.
Top 10 Anti-anxiety meds list
In the market, there are four types of drug classes of anxiety disorders that are as follows:
Here is the list of best anti-anxiety drugs from all drug class medicines are :
- Alprazolam (Xanax): It is a benzodiazepine that acts on the central nervous system and brain and helps to reduce the symptoms of disorders. Alprazolam(Xanax) is one of the best and highly recommended anti-anxiety meds. Before consuming it, read the medication prescription provided by your doctor.
- Citalopram (Celexa): Citalopram is used to treat anxiety disorders and depression. This medicine is known as a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI).
- Escitalopram (Lexapro): Lexapro belongs to a drug class known as a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI). It is one of the best medicines used to treat depression or anxiety disorders. It works in the brain by helping to restore the balance of serotonin and may improve your energy level.
- Fluoxetine (Prozac): Prozac is a famous anti-anxiety medication that is used alone or with other medications to treat depression, panic disorders, anxiety disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorder. Fluoxetine may improve your sleep, appetite, mood, energy level and can help increase your interest in daily living.
- Chlordiazepoxide (Librium): Librium is a good anti-anxiety medication to reduce the system of anxiety disorders. This medicine belongs to a benzodiazepines drug class and it can be used alone or with other medications. Read the medication guide that is provided by your doctor, before using it.
- Diazepam (Valium): It is one of the best benzodiazepine medicines that is used to treat anxiety disorders, alcohol withdrawal, and muscle spasms. Sometimes doctors used it as a sedative before any severe surgery. Diazepam can be used alone or with other medications according to a doctor’s prescription. Read the medication guide that is provided by your doctor, before consuming it.
- Lorazepam (Ativan): Ativan belongs to a drug class that is called a benzodiazepine. This medicine works by producing a calming effect in the brain and central nervous system and helps to withdraw the system of disorders. Read the medication guide that is provided by your doctor, before using it.
- Duloxetine (Cymbalta): Duloxetine is a good anti-anxiety medication that is used to treat depression and anxiety disorders. Doctors recommend it with other medicine also used to treat nerve pain, back pain, etc. Cymbalta can better your appetite, mood, energy level and can help you to sleep better and increase your interest in daily living.
- Venlafaxine (Effexor XR): Venlafaxine is an extended-release medicine that is used to treat anxiety disorders, panic attacks, depression, and social phobia. It belongs to a drug class known as serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI). Effexor XR may improve your sleep, appetite, mood, energy level and can help increase your interest in daily living.
- Amitriptyline (Elavil): Elavil is one of the best anti-anxiety meds that is used to reduce the symptoms of anxiety disorders and depression. This medicine can help you to increase your energy level, relieve anxiety and tension, and help you to sleep better. Amitriptyline belongs to a drug class that is known as tricyclic antidepressants.
These are all the best medicines that are recommended for the various conditions of a patient with anxiety disorder. Doctors recommend these medicines after they check the condition of the patient and in severe cases, the treatment lasts longer. So make sure to take doses according to the doctor’s prescription and do not take it longer than prescribed.
Are Anti-anxiety meds that cause weight loss
The big question is whether anti-anxiety medication can cause weight loss. That’s true, some anti-anxiety meds can cause weight loss and some can also gain weight. It happens when you consume anti-anxiety medications with any other medicine without asking a doctor. So if the doctor prescribes any anti-anxiety pill to you then tell him if you are already taking any medicine for any reason. Here is the list of anti-anxiety meds that cause weight loss-
- Duloxetine (Cymbalta)
- Bupropion (Wellbutrin)
- Fluoxetine (Prozac)
Studies of the effects of these medicines tell that some people face weight loss problems using these anti-anxiety meds. These are not highly recommended medicines for anxiety disorders; benzodiazepines medicines are the best anti-anxiety medication.
Here, we talked about anti-anxiety drugs and their uses and side effects. Make sure to consume any anti-anxiety medication under the guidance of a doctor. If you take medicine with a proper prescription then there is less chance of getting side effects. And if you take medicine for a long time and you feel better then go to the doctor and get a medical checkup. Long-term use of anti-anxiety medication can cause the addition of medicine.